News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Custom Profile Field Mod

Started by winrules, March 30, 2006, 02:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueSatan

Please leave in place and produce a translated version of CustomProfile.english.php then name it according to the translation and add it to your forum.

dewdrop60

Quote from: zunescene on October 29, 2007, 12:37:13 PM
I installed it on a 1.1.2 forum no sweat but it wont show up for me in my 1.1.4 forum.  Both use dilbert-mc.

I'm having the same problem. Can anyone give me an idea what is wrong? I got it to apply, but can't see the tab. I rolled back to the default theme and it still doesn't work.

Thank you for any help you may give.

mariolone

Quote from: TrueSatan on October 30, 2007, 06:11:31 AM
Please leave in place and produce a translated version of CustomProfile.english.php then name it according to the translation and add it to your forum.

Thank you, but this is not my problem. The problem is that I can't translate the field name created!

For example, if I create a custom field in English named "Country", with a dropdown selection in registration, I can't translate it depending on language, that is a user that select French language will find the same field "Country" not translated in French.

This is a little bit annoying, is it? So Custom Profile Filed Mod is suitable only for one-language forums? I hope no, probably it is possible to set something but I can't do it.

Thank you for your help !!!!

TrueSatan

There's no feature in this mod that would get you an automatic translation but might it not be a reasonable compromise to name the field <English name/French name> thus making it offer both at once? Other than that it would require custom alterations to the mod to do what you have in mind and you might well need to offer financial inducement (money) to get somebody to do the work.

mariolone

Quote from: TrueSatan on October 31, 2007, 09:02:51 PM
There's no feature in this mod that would get you an automatic translation but might it not be a reasonable compromise to name the field <English name/French name> thus making it offer both at once? Other than that it would require custom alterations to the mod to do what you have in mind and you might well need to offer financial inducement (money) to get somebody to do the work.

Thank you for your reply. I think your suggestion is not suitable to my case because I have in mind to make a multi-language forum (not only 2 languages).
How to do the offer to make the modifcations I need? It should be nice to make also Custom Profile Fields linked themselves by a parent mechanism.

For example, if I select "France" as country (and this would be my "parent" selection), it should be nice to link this selection only with French regions to be selected in another filed(e.g. dropdown list of French regions such as Rhones-Alpes, Provence-Alpes-cote d'Azur, etc.).

Do you think it should be possible?

Thank you

TrueSatan

What you have in mind is possible but possible doesn't imply easy or quick or inexpensive. You would appear to be likely to need multiple arrays of options the number depending on the number of countries you wish to cover...it could land up being a large file, or files, and a lot of work for whomever took on such a project.

Initially, I would suggest, your offer of paid additions to any mod ought to go to the mod author as it seems to me only fair that the person who provided the mod to be "enhanced" should get first refusal of any paid work flowing from it, then, providing the mod author declined such work, it might be offered on the following link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0

mariolone

Quote from: TrueSatan on November 02, 2007, 06:49:44 AM
What you have in mind is possible but possible doesn't imply easy or quick or inexpensive. You would appear to be likely to need multiple arrays of options the number depending on the number of countries you wish to cover...it could land up being a large file, or files, and a lot of work for whomever took on such a project.

Initially, I would suggest, your offer of paid additions to any mod ought to go to the mod author as it seems to me only fair that the person who provided the mod to be "enhanced" should get first refusal of any paid work flowing from it, then, providing the mod author declined such work, it might be offered on the following link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0

Hi, do you know if SMF 2.0 will have the features I need by default? I read somewhere that Custom Profile Fields will be released as default, but I don't know if there will be the mechanisms I need (language depending and parent selections).

When SMF 2.0 will be released to the public?

Thank you

TrueSatan

I don't think anyone can give you a fixed date for release of SMF 2.0 as it's in beta now and thus if bugs were found they would be fixed prior to full release...it depends on what problems are found and how long fixing them may take.

I haven't had a close enough look at it to be able to answer your query regarding the details of its version of this mod...maybe a Charter Member who uses it or a member of the SMF staff might know...though I would be surprised if it included the functionality you have in mind.

It might well be sensible for you to wait and see what SMF 2.0 offers and have any custom code written for that rather than for this mod...better use of your time and money I would have thought.

mariolone

ok, thank you for your kind reply.

I think I will wait for SMF 2.0 in order to see all the features (before asking for a paid assistance).

Now, I will use only one language with Custom Profile Mod.

Best regards

Kindred

no... the custom profile fields feature in 2.0 does not work as you are requesting...

What you are asking for is actually a fairly major change...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dewdrop60

Quote from: dewdrop60 on October 30, 2007, 11:02:02 AM
Quote from: zunescene on October 29, 2007, 12:37:13 PM
I installed it on a 1.1.2 forum no sweat but it wont show up for me in my 1.1.4 forum.  Both use dilbert-mc.

I'm having the same problem. Can anyone give me an idea what is wrong? I got it to apply, but can't see the tab. I rolled back to the default theme and it still doesn't work.

Thank you for any help you may give.

Any ideas?  Anyone?

TrueSatan

Start by making sure your language settings are as they should be:

You need to go to ACP>Server Settings and set your forum language to English and not English utf8 and to ACP>Features and Options>Basic Settings and uncheck Enable user-selectable language support.

See if the problem persists and report back please.

mariolone

Quote from: Kindred on November 02, 2007, 09:51:18 AM
no... the custom profile fields feature in 2.0 does not work as you are requesting...

What you are asking for is actually a fairly major change...
Another problem found.
I created a dropdown list of selectable items (e.g. Countries). The first country is visible (Afganistan) and, instead, it should be better if the first field should be empty and non selectable. By now, it is not possible (if I leave the first item empty, the dropdown list I created disappear (?)).
I would like to leave the first fileld of the list empty and not selectable: is it possible? How?

Thank you

Kindred

enter a "space" or a "dash" as the value for the first option...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mariolone

no, it is not suitable to my needs, because one could select the "space" or the "dash" and going on with the registration process (but I would like an error message appears to force the selection of the other items before completing registration).

Thank you, however

Kindred

then the answer is no... the system does not (by default) do what you are asking.
Слaва
Украинi

dewdrop60

Quote from: TrueSatan on November 02, 2007, 12:42:34 PM
Start by making sure your language settings are as they should be:

You need to go to ACP>Server Settings and set your forum language to English and not English utf8 and to ACP>Features and Options>Basic Settings and uncheck Enable user-selectable language support.

See if the problem persists and report back please.

In my server settings English is the only option.
The Enable User-selectable Language was checked so I unchecked it.
I still don't see the tab to be able to put in the Custom Field.

TrueSatan

OK...using the default theme please check all the files the mod adds and edits and make sure that all edits etc are in place.

dewdrop60

Quote from: TrueSatan on November 05, 2007, 10:33:59 AM
OK...using the default theme please check all the files the mod adds and edits and make sure that all edits etc are in place.

Set it to default theme, still no tab.

Mod Name     Version     
1.    Custom Profile Field Mod    3.16

List Files:
   1.  CustomProfile.english.php (2090 bytes)
   2. CustomProfile.php (28591 bytes)
   3. fixpostsbug.xml (841 bytes)
   4. modification.xml (7359 bytes)
   5. package-info.xml (1581 bytes)
   6. readme.txt (200 bytes)
   7. tablanguageissue.xml (759 bytes)

TrueSatan

Yes but what I'm saying is that you need to review the files this mod edits when you install it and ensure that all the edits are correctly in place and also ensure that the files it adds are in place.

Follow the process of a manual installation and check that everything matches what should have happened...the following links give details etc:

Please read:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=402.msg531#msg531

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34526.0

The following may also prove helpful:

http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

Mirror of the last link:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html

Advertisement: