News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Get to know the team: Joseph

Started by Joseph, January 25, 2006, 01:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

Name: Joseph Brennan Fung
Quote: or Favorite Quote: Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.
Position: Project Manager
Picture: See attachment

1. Do you have pets? No, although my family has always had several - unfortuntely my girlfriend is allergic. Hypoalergenic pets such as rocks are too boring. And they tend to die on me.
2. What is your favorite color? Green
3. What kind of music do you like? Jazz (both classic & remixed), electronic/ambient. St. Germain is a favourite.
4. What do you do on your free time besides spending time on SMF? Study kung fu, sketch, spend time with my gf, play Dungeons & Dragons when I can find the time.
5. What are your goals/dreams in life? Lifetime "To Do"
6. What got you involved in SMF? To go back though, while I was sick in the hospital for a month in 2001, I became involved with YaBB 1 Gold development, and started working with Jeff Lewis online. In the fall of that year, we began the PHP/MySQL port of YaBB. I can't recall which of us suggested the idea, but that's how we started YaBB SE, which eventually became SMF.
7. Who do you admire? Why? Jackie Chan. His life is amazing, and the impact he's had in cinematography and stunt-action is amazing.
8. Are you into sports?  If so which ones? Yes. Martial arts, Squash, Circus Arts. Oh yeah - and I am a very competetive hockey player spectator.
9. What is your dream job? Owning a company, where I'm also employed to come up with new ideas.
10. What was your first screenname? Ronin - I dropped it after the movie came out as everyone thought I took it from there.
11. Do you have any piercings? Nope, not this week.
12. Are you a lefty/righty or ambidextrous? Right-handed, although I use my cutlery in the wrong hand.
13. Do you have any tattoo's?  If not do you wish/plan to get one? Nope. no real plans, although am open to the idea.
14. Do you have any siblings?  If so how many of each. Yes - two younger sisters.
15. What is your favorite website? http://localhost/ (I'm serious - it's my home page)
16. Do you play computer games?   If so which ones? Yes. Badly and Infrequently. City of Heroes mostly. Yeti Olympics other times.
17. Do you play video game consoles?   Which ones? Yes. Badly and Infrequently: XBox, GameCube and PS2.
18. Are you married or planing to get married? No, but yes I will. Probably within 2 or 3 years.
  a. If so do you have any kids?
  b. How many kids?
19. How many languages do you speak?   If so which ones? Define "speak" :P I'm decent with spoken French, but am rusty, my Chinese is similarly rough, my German and Spanish are also languishing but I've mastered the art of ordering food and asking for directions in English, so I think I can survive :)
20. Do you drink? Yes
21. Do you smoke? Never have, never will.
22. Did you play hookey from class? In high school, more than I should probably admit :) In university, that number became appalling. In my most recent term of school I can honestly say attended less than 5% of my class time inlcuding exam times. Yes I'm a geek and actually calculated it.
22. Do you have a license? Yep.
  a. Do you own a car? Yep.
  b. Have you ever been stopped for speeding? Yep.
23. Do you obtain a good amount of sleep daily? What's this "sleep" thing you speak of? Generally no - I tend to burn the wick at both ends.
24. How do you sleep? Soundly.
25. Have you ever been on an airplane? Yes, way too many times.
26. have you ever broken a bone? Yes.
27. Do you wear jewelry?  If so what jewelry do you wear? Yes, a silver bracelet with a dragon on it, and a gold necklace with a jade monkey on it - both of which were given to me by my father.
28. How do you dress? Depends on whether I'm seeing clients or not. Typically slacks and a dressshirt - no tie.
29. How many keys are on your keyring? 9
30. What time do you go to bed?  What time do you wake up? usually 1am and 6:30am respectively.
31. What's the freakiest thing you have done? Ummm...not sure if it qualifies, but I've a pretty good story about chinese massage parlours, a fake irish man from Jersey, hackey sacks and adult movie video stars. And it's completely decent too ironically enough. :P
32. Do you live alone? Nope - my girlfriend lives with me.
33. How many hours a day do you spend in the computer? None in the computer, about 12 using a computer though.
34. How many hours a day do you spend in SMF? Averages out to between 1 and 2.
35. How about What is your favorite beverage? Coffee, Tea, Soda, Beer, other? Favourite is Coke Classic.
36. What do you hate?   Equipment that doesn't work
37. What do you love?   My family
38. What is your religion? Agnostic
39. What is your hair color? Brown
40. How tall are you? 5'10"
41. How much do you weight? 155lbs
42. What's the feature on SMF you can't live without?
  a. As an administrator? Search for Members
  b. As an end user? Toss Up - Inline Editing or Alt+s posting.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Killer Possum

Lifetime "To Do" - # Own a straight jacket "

ROFL!!! So what's it like, since you own one now? :P

Acf

Agnostic... hmm thanks for finding that word for me :P somebody told me that was Agnostic but i forgot the word  :-X
Sigh...

Thantos

Leipe Po

1)what O.S do you use?
1.a) if linux, witch distro?

2) whats the first thing that youve coded?

3) is ther stuff in smf that youve coded?
3.a)if so witch parts?

4) do you think hamsters are evil?

5) whats another word for love?

6) whats your basic emotion?(examples: stressed, calm, paranoid, in love, horny)

7) may we know why you were in a hospital for a month?

8) whats the wierdest thing you ever withnessed?

9.a) what kind of car do you own?
9.b) do you have pics of it?

10) do know care-modding?
10.a) you ever done some case modding?
10.b) kan you so some pics of it?

11) if you get married would you line broadcast it on the internet so all the members can also enjoy this histarical moment?

12)whats the best present someone can give you?

13) do you buy or download music?

14) why isnt there a torrent download of smf?(saves alot of bandwith)

15) why isnt this project on sourgeforge?(or how its spelled)

16) how many girlfriend did you have?

17) ever cheated on your love?

18) ever had been cheated by someone you love?

19) whats you favorite dinner?

20) if you can have a pet, what will it be?

21) would you awnser all these questions?
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

Saleh

QuoteSee the Pyramids
I just came back from there! now, I am addicted about that great old civilization! I bought 3 books about them, read them. playing a SimCity-like game called "Pharaoh" and it simulates how they lived..
man, you better hurry before they perish! stupid Egyptian gov not taking good care of their old ancestors civilization remainings! :(

I could post some pics if you want ;)

We don't need a reason to help people

Joseph

Quote from: Killer Possum on January 25, 2006, 10:44:59 AM

They're actually surprisingly comfortable. :)

Quote from: Thantos on January 27, 2006, 11:26:42 PM
Which martial arts?

Taekwon Do (Black belt) and Five Animal Shaolin Kungfu (only red sash)

To Leipe_Po's questions:

1) Windows XP, Windows Mobile, Mac OS, Linus
1.a) RedHat Enterprise 3, CentOS and Corel

2) The first thing I programmed was an animation of a rocket ship taking off in grade 10 programming class.

3) Not so much any more - I think the only code in SMF that still has my fingerrpints would be some of the themes. You can still see a lot of the algorithms from the original code I worked on, but not much code. Oh wait - the header. I wrote the header we still use in the source files, and I suspect that some of the English language strings are still some of the original text ;) Beyond that, most of my code-related contributes are in the forms of mods and ideas that others have run with and expanded on, such as the whole Karma system, the magic llama mod, bookmark mod and a few others.

4) No, just mis understood.

5) "Nil" (as in Tennis - no points)

6) Umm - ok.... Cheerful/Mischevious (although this isn't necessarily an emotion, based on your examples I'm guessing you meant temperment or disposition rather than emotion. I'm sorry, but I have trouble classifying "stressed" and "horny" as emotions.....however it does beg the question "What does it mean to get in touch with ones emotions?" :P)

7) Yes you may - my left kidney decided it wanted to fail. The condition was called minimal change nephrotic syndrome.

8.) To be honest, I'm not sure. I'll chew on that and post if I an remember anything particularly weird. I have a true appreciation for surreality, so it's hard to identify the weirdest

9) A two-door Hyundai Accent. No, I don't have photos - I'm not much of a car fanatic, it's a tool to get me places :)

10) I have friends who do it, I proficient at crafting things and suspect I'd have no trouble, but no I never have.

11) LOL probably not, no :) Besides - I really doubt that people would find it that interesting - but I promise that I'll post any incriminating photos from the reception that we take ;)

12) Extra hours in the day! In all honesty though, there's not much I need right now - so I suppose all I could want would be for things to continue as they are. Or somthing edible. Food is good. ;)

13) I usually buy music. I avoid pirated music and software as much as I can.

14) Hrmm...good question. Probably because no one has suggested it to the right people. There may be technical reasons, however I can't think of any. To be honest though, we aren't suffering from transfer limitations right now, so we're doing ok.

15) Because it doesn't comply with source forge's open source requirements. Although this is free software (free as in "free beer"), we take the matter of intellectual property more seriously than others and so reserve more control over the project.  That, and it's nice using our own servers

16) Do you mean historically? If you include silly one-week "let's see eachother" things from public and early high school, then probably a half-dozen or so. Right now though I'm devoted to Xiaopu - my girlfriend of the last two years.

17) No.

18) No. Not that I know of.

19) That's a hard one...hrm, peking duck is definitelye at or near the top of the list.

20) A miniature pot-bellied pig. I'd name him Gourd.

21) I think I did it ;)
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Joseph

Quote from: Saleh on January 28, 2006, 09:47:27 AM
QuoteSee the Pyramids
I could post some pics if you want ;)
That would be awesome :)
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Thantos

QuoteTaekwon Do (Black belt)
I got my Black Belt In Taekwondo also :)  Though if I go back to martial arts I was thinking of Jujutsu since I think it would fill in where Taekwondo loses its power.

Joseph

Quote from: Thantos on January 28, 2006, 10:21:29 AM
I got my Black Belt In Taekwondo also :)  Though if I go back to martial arts I was thinking of Jujutsu since I think it would fill in where Taekwondo loses its power.

I've found that it's not just a matter of power - it's also a matter of the artistry of it. Taekwondo is an excellent sporting martial art - very clean, crisp and a joy to watch, but the depth and richness of kungfu has definitely caught my interest :)

Mind you, I'd still love to study Capoeira  or something similar.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

HoTmetal

Quote from: Joseph on January 28, 2006, 10:34:00 AM
Quote from: Thantos on January 28, 2006, 10:21:29 AM

I've found that it's not just a matter of power - it's also a matter of the artistry of it. Taekwondo is an excellent sporting martial art - very clean, crisp and a joy to watch, but the depth and richness of kungfu has definitely caught my interest :)

Mind you, I'd still love to study Capoeira  or something similar.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or traditional Japanese Jujitsu?

Quote from: Killer Possum on January 25, 2006, 10:44:59 AM
ARG! KP you beat me to the punch, that was the 1st thing I saw on the list that made me wanna post....

There are a few of them on the list you can do at the same time, then there are a few you WOULDN'T want to do at the same time, like wear a strait jacket & Swim with dolphins. That would be bad. Or Driving a Porsche while cliff diving. But "Being at the right place at the right time", you could meet Meet Jackie Chan, Stephen Hawking, & track Jonathan Ferguson while getting your pilot's license, flying to see the Pyramids. :)

Joseph

QuoteBut "Being at the right place at the right time", you could meet Meet Jackie Chan, Stephen Hawking, & track Jonathan Ferguson while getting your pilot's license, flying to see the Pyramids.

LOL That's the best response I've ever heard to my list :)
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Prasad007

whats the highest post count u hav in ne site except this 1 ? :D

Joseph

Wow - good question. I think it would be the old YaBB SE site.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Prasad007

Quote from: Joseph on January 28, 2006, 02:09:15 PM
Wow - good question. I think it would be the old YaBB SE site.
:)
ya well but how much?

Prasad007

i mean how many posts do you have there? in "the old YaBB SE site" ?

JayBachatero

Weird that item 71 from your list hasn't been accomplished :P
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

HoTmetal

Quote from: Prasad007 on January 28, 2006, 02:26:07 PM
i mean how many posts do you have there? in "the old YaBB SE site" ?

*Edit--- added stats link & post count...
Total Post count 114536
Joseph Fung  Post count 4512
You can still see the
YabbSE site.... You can't join anymore, but you can see the stats page here

Acf

9. What is your job? do you like it? what do you do?

qoute:14) why isnt there a torrent download of smf?(saves alot of bandwith)
the licence doesn't alow it...
Sigh...

Joseph

Jay - hah hah! ;) In my survey - you'll notice that I have never smoked. Nor do I intend to, however while I was in China I was surprised how often I found myself surrounded by people who were smoking (both tobacco and pot) and just didn't know how to roll their own cigarettes or joints. It was embarassing.  I think that being able to roll a joint would be an interesting parlour trick. Like Zippo-lighter tricks.

Prasad - about 4500
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Advertisement: