Html special chars in profile fields=errors (Was: Signature impossible to edit)

Started by a10, August 23, 2024, 03:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a10

Think I posted about that long ago. Preview shows new entries correctly, but changes does not stick. Delete \ changes \ adding anything, always reverts to what was originally entered years ago. (Yes, I do click change profile :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.30, MariaDB 10.6.18. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

a10

Found it, funny bug.

The error text was:
"The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:
HTML tags are not allowed"

But no html tags in my signature. Did some random testing... original "Norway & France" in location was changed to "Norway and France", fixed! Can recreate, any "&" in location = HTML tags are not allowed and no changes saved. Can use & in signature, but not in location.
2.0.19, php 8.0.30, MariaDB 10.6.18. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sounds like a bug, similar to this https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/issues/7660 but based on the discussion on it - not the same? @shawnb61 ?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Side bug: the above link is mangled by quotes being added to it somewhere along the line.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Arantor on August 29, 2024, 10:51:18 AMSide bug: the above link is mangled by quotes being added to it somewhere along the line.
That's a bug with modified code on this site here only, I've brought this up within team.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

Very similar issue, yes, just different characters are triggering it now.  Issue exists in 2.1 & 3.0.

Confirmed & logged:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/issues/8308

Note the signature is OK (see mine). 

This is specific to custom field edits, not the signature, so the subject of this thread appears to be incorrect.  Also, this issue is not specific to this forum.
A question worth asking is born in experience & driven by necessity. - Fripp

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

A question worth asking is born in experience & driven by necessity. - Fripp

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: