Time to switch from recaptcha?

Started by vbgamer45, July 11, 2024, 02:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Time to switch to another captcha for 2.1 or future versions of SMF. Some options: hcaptcha or cloudflare turnsile possible options

QuoteThe implementation of the pricing changes we announced in January 2024 is now complete.

We're writing to remind you that these changes will apply to your Google reCAPTCHA project starting August 1, 2024.
What do you need to know?

The following price changes will be available with Google reCAPTCHA:

All customers will receive a no-cost allowance of 10,000 instead of 1 million assessments per month.
    Customers in our reCAPTCHA Standard tier, with usage of 10,000 - 100,000 assessments per month, will be charged a flat $8 fee.
    Customers in our reCAPTCHA Enterprise tier, with usage above 100,000 assessments per month, will be charged an additional $1 per 1,000 assessments.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Ew. Yes, time to look at hCaptcha first I think.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

vbgamer45

Yeah I like hCaptcha the best in terms of puzzles.  I think all these services need to implement better block blocking of (AI bots, search engines, spam in general)  too much quotas are used up by bots and they expect people to pay now.
Last month had 7,012,000 requests when generally under 2 million. I believe it is mostly from the AI bots which are blocked now.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

CloudFlare in front of a site has a straight up block option for AI bots, so they don't get your content and don't even get to CAPTCHAs.

I personally find the AI bot view of "if it's on the web, it's fair game" pretty reprehensible because that's not how the social contract ever worked, and copyright is a thing.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Interesting, Google seems to have forgotten that it was always a trade - We allow Google to spy on our users and help develop Google's AI through user interaction, and in turn Google helps us separate bots from actual people.

EDIT: Also funny enough, it's cheaper to break than it is to use https://www.hcaptcha.com/report-how-much-is-a-recaptcha-really-worth
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 12, 2024, 06:16:08 AMGoogle seems to have forgotten that it was always a trade

When Carnegie Mellon first invented ReCAPTCHA, it had an even more noble goal for digitising old books.

Jeff Lewis

I had no idea the price was going up, I'll have to check into this as all the work captchas we use are on my personal account
Co-Founder of SMF

Advertisement: