News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mods only by hooks

Started by Realinfo, December 09, 2014, 09:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Realinfo

If possible try to have all new mods of 2.1 by hooks, so there will be no change in basic files of smf and thus easy to install and uninstall

thanks

Kindred

1- that is up to the mod authors
2- once again --   since you have no copyright displayed, you will receive limited, if any support by most of this community.
(actually, I think you are in legal violation of the simple portal mod, since you removed their copyright as well, which is NOT legally allowed, AFAIK)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

1. It is entirely possible to do even very complex mods with hooks but it does depend on what the mod is doing and how much skill and determination the mod author has with using hooks.

@Kindred: SimplePortal 2.3.6 is BSD licensed meaning this could be legal now.

Eliana Tamerin

It is certainly legal to remove the copyright of SimplePortal that is displayed on the website (but not from the code). SP has never really enforced it before, but no harm will come to anyone who removes the copyright display from a site utilizing SimplePortal.

If someone desires to get support for SimplePortal from an official avenue, either SimplePortal.net or the SimplePortal mod thread here at SM.org, we ask that they do not remove or tamper with the SimplePortal copyright. Once removed, we ask that users rely on their own expertise for troubleshooting SimplePortal, or make a donation to SimplePortal.net in order to receive official support.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Arantor

Thanks for the clarification :)

Eliana Tamerin

Not a problem. Feel free to quote me if it comes up again.

Download | Docs

Kindred

Thanks... So, essentially the same attitude that we hold here.   Glad that is clarified.
However, since the user realinfo has removed the smf copyright, and we have told him, several dozen times, that doing so means that he feels that he doesn't need our support, it stuns me that he keeps coming back and asking for stuff, without putting the cooyright back.

(The user even tried to set up a fake account to get help after we flagged him the first time)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Realinfo

1. In this topic I'm not asking for any support, just suggesting to make SMF better

2. I'm having  SMF from more than 7 years, I guided hundreds of people to install it, So i feel part of it

3. One day come when we are civilized enough to not care much about these small things

Thanks

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

That may be because this is a support board. ;)

Arantor

Quote from: Realinfo on December 10, 2014, 02:44:46 AM
1. In this topic I'm not asking for any support, just suggesting to make SMF better

2. I'm having  SMF from more than 7 years, I guided hundreds of people to install it, So i feel part of it

3. One day come when we are civilized enough to not care much about these small things

Thanks

Removing the credit for someone's hard work is neither civilised nor small.

Mr.Truckman

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on December 09, 2014, 08:24:02 PM

Hello, I am waiting to see SimplePortal in SMF 2.1  :D

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Mr.Truckman on December 10, 2014, 10:58:38 AM

Hello,

A recent discussion on the subject at SimplePortal.net featured our lead developer indicating that he was holding off on SMF 2.1 development until it was further along. At this point, in beta software, there is still some features and code that would change, and so with his current workload and time, he feels it is wiser to wait until SMF 2.1 is at a more mature release before evaluating SimplePortal's development goals.

We appreciate your patience and hope you continue to enjoy using SimplePortal on SMF 2.0.

Download | Docs

qICEp

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on December 10, 2014, 09:20:19 PM
Quote from: Mr.Truckman on December 10, 2014, 10:58:38 AM

Hello,

A recent discussion on the subject at SimplePortal.net featured our lead developer indicating that he was holding off on SMF 2.1 development until it was further along. At this point, in beta software, there is still some features and code that would change, and so with his current workload and time, he feels it is wiser to wait until SMF 2.1 is at a more mature release before evaluating SimplePortal's development goals.

We appreciate your patience and hope you continue to enjoy using SimplePortal on SMF 2.0.
If the mod is coded with hooks (and SP is using hooks as much as it can, as far as i know) than there is not much things possible to change (at least not the things that will make difference for mods). Biggest problem will be templates but they can not change much (only bug fixes are applied and i didnt notice any bugs, means that there wont be major changes)

Kindred

You are distinctly incorrect.

First - I don't think a portal can be run ONLY on hooks.
Second - suggesting thatt he theme/template is full stable is just plain wrong.
Although we don't INTEND to do it again...  in 2.0 RC3 - the template has a MAJOR change.
Third - This is BETA 1 !! There is ALWAYS the possibility or major change after a beta 1....  less so after RC version have been started... but even then....
Слaва
Украинi

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Kindred on December 11, 2014, 08:15:03 AM

Second - suggesting thatt he theme/template is full stable is just plain wrong.
Although we don't INTEND to do it again...  in 2.0 RC3 - the template has a MAJOR change.
Third - This is BETA 1 !! There is ALWAYS the possibility or major change after a beta 1....  less so after RC version have been started... but even then....

For the record, 1.1 RC2 was also accompanied by a new theme (Core). ;)

Download | Docs

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on December 11, 2014, 08:15:03 AM

Sure it can. I did it before.

Kindred

hmm.... OK.  Well, the other points still stand. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

True, but remember this is me we're talking about... If it can be done, you know it would be me that would figure it out ;D

I still have the proof of concept code somewhere.

Advertisement: