Noob question about categories/directories

Started by neoseeyou, April 28, 2014, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neoseeyou

Hello everybody

First of all sorry if my sentences are not very clear as english is not my native language :-\

Ok i have open a private forum for a team and they asked me a feature i could not solve by myself.

When a answer is ready on a thread, the category/directory of this thread and the thread itself are mark as NEW

Let say you have multiple answers on multiple threads inside this category. If the user visit one of these threads and come back to the main page, the category/directory is not mark as New anymore, even if there are still new threads inside. Is it possible to let the category mark as new if the member has not visited all threads marks as new?

I don't know if i am clear

Thanks

Steve

You were clear and I've been wondering about that myself. I hate that a board is marked read even though there are still unread new posts inside. Hopefully one of the resident experts will tell us how to fix it or explain why it is that way. :)

There is this discussion on the issue:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=465097.0

It's also interesting that the initial post in that thread is almost exactly the same as this one.
DO NOT pm me for support!

neoseeyou

Wow thank you for your blasting answer  :P I will check this thread and try to manage with it.

Thanks!

Sir Osis of Liver

Interesting, was thinking about this last night.  It's been a problem on my family board for a while.  The code edits in the other thread look a bit dodgy.  A simpler solution is to remove the link from 'Last post' on the board index.  This would force members to use the board link to the message index, which displays 'New' icons for each topic with a new post.  Think I'll try that tonight.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

Steve... You've given me an idea... As this topic's solved and nobody's gonna mind, if it goes a bit off-topic, I'm gonna hijack it.

As you're a self-confessed nooB, would you take a look at these and give us your opinions on whether expanding the "Beginner's guide" is worth the effort, pretty-please?

For example, this is the "Official" guide on how to install SMF:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

whilst this is one that I knocked-up (Although it's been mucked-around with, a bit), for nooBs:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_installing_SMF

and:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_Upgrading

Honest opinion. Do you think the so-called "Friendly" guide's a bit easier to follow, coz we tried to make them a bit less jargonified and OMG! looking?

Steve

I'd be happy to take a look. Give me a little time to go over it. :D

Steve

I've read each of your links and I'd like to read them again tomorrow.

I can tell you right now that the friendly versions are much easier to understand and a ton less daunting than the others.

I did learn one thing ... use my cPanel to backup instead of the admin backup function. I didn't know that it's not as reliable as one might wish.

And just for the heck of it, one nit-picking thing I saw was the word 'dearchive'. Looks weird ... I'd probably use de-archive but that's just me lol ...

Anyway, like I said, I'll look at it some more tomorrow and maybe even try creating a database etc. with the friendly version which I've never done.

Kindred

HA!!

I told you, k@, dearchive is not a word...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

dearchive... de-archive... Same thing - different gravy. :P

Thanks, for that, Steve. VERY much appreciated.

Sure, any further comments would be valuable, ta! :)

Angelina Belle

Hi Steve!  Thanks for the feedback!  Instead of "dearchive", what word do you think would be easily understood and not look weird?

Thanks!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Steve

Either de-archive, which still looks weird but not as bad, or unarchive or unzip maybe?

And you're welcome K@. :)

Illori

Quote from: Steve on April 30, 2014, 08:05:01 AM
Either de-archive, which still looks weird but not as bad, or unarchive or unzip maybe?

And you're welcome K@. :)

related thread on this issue http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=520185.0

Angelina Belle

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

kat

Yeah... I'm edging towards "Extract the files from the archive", now.

"Dearchive/De-archive" is smaller, though, and far more elegant.

'course, if we did-away with the geeky tar/gz files and stuck with zip files, globally, we could just stick with "unzip".

SOOOOOO much easier.

Angelina Belle

"extract files".  Two words.  unzip would probably be just as well understood as some kind of shorthand, though it would be technically incorrect, since unzipping a .tar.gz would leave you with a .tar file that would still need to be unarchived or dearchived or untarred or detarred or some such thing, so probably best.

"extract files", I guess. simpler?

Steve

After reading through the entire thread Illori linked to, I can see where 'extract the files from the archive' would be optimum.

I can also understand Kindred's desire for the docs to be "formal and professional" but for someone who's completely new at this, that makes it extremely "OMG! looking", as K@ put it. I don't think I'd attempt to follow the instructions in the 'Official' version because it assumes I have basic knowledge of how cPanels/MySQL/etc. works, which I don't. (Well, I do understand cPanels but you get the idea.) For example, the Official version says "SMF 2.0 supports MySQL, has PostgreSQL and SQLite." I don't even know what that means. :(

At any rate, the Friendly version is the one I'd use if I were to attempt to create my forum from scratch. If I were writing it, I'd change some too friendly phrases like "Anyway, once you've uploaded ..." to "Once you've uploaded ..." etc.

And that's my two cents worth. Film at 11.

:)

kat

We might be asking you for a bit of help, later, if you're up for it. :)

I'll send you a PM, later.

Feel free to say "Bugger orf!", of course. ;)

Steve

kat

I like your style. :) (He must be English, coz you Yanks aren't this helpful) ;)

Advertisement: