News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum crash when anti spam mod uploaded

Started by GirlinGray, October 22, 2010, 11:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GirlinGray

I am in huge trouble.  I did not back up like I should have. I have never had a mod go bad on me like this before.  I uploaded the anti spam verify question 1.02 to use with the 1.1.11 board [okay I have had desperate spam issues that is why I was sort of on a tear dealing with this and was too stupid to back up] and it killed the board. 

Now all I get when I try to open the forum is:

Template Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

You may want to try to refresh this page or use the default theme.

And a bunch of code -- not sure whether I can paste that in here --

Plus I am freaked about having forum code load for anyone to look at--

And I am getting errors trying to do the back up to original, and the board is dead ---

This is very very bad.  And I have a private class in session on that board I cannot afford to lose that board.  Help?
That Adams Girl

gbsothere

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

xenovanis

Can you attach the file /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php please, so we can take a look at it?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

GirlinGray

I am attaching it here as a pdf -- if I can.  It is the page the forum keeps yelling about instead of opening the forum too.
That Adams Girl

GirlinGray

Also I am attaching an image of the page that opens when I try to open the forum:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried pulling the back up out of packages but it does not include the default languages folder.
That Adams Girl

Paul_Pauline

Please do not attach files as pdf's

Drag the file over to your desktop via your ftp client, then attach it, as is, to a post.

If you are posting a small section of code, ensure it is posted between "code" tags.
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

xenovanis

^^ What he said. This is very hard to read. Attaching the .php file would be preferable to using code tags.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

GirlinGray

Thank you for responding.

Is this better?

<?php// Version: 1.1; Modifications// footer links $txt['hide_v_logo'] = 'Hide validation logos.';$txt['forum_copyright'] = 'Enter your copyright here.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default copyright.</div>';$txt['default_copyright'] = $context['forum_name'] .' &copy;';$txt['foot_links'] = 'Enter footer links here, using html.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default links.</div>';$txt['default_foot_links'] = '<a href="?action=sitemap">Sitemap</a> | <a href="?action=contact">Contact</a> | <a href="?wap">WAP</a> |<a href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">xHTML</a> | <a href="?imode">iMode</a> | <a href="?wap2">WAP 2</a> | <a href="?type=rss;action=.xml">RSS</a></span>';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_ans_col'] = 'Answer';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_coppa'] = 'COPPA';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_descr'] = 'If you want users to answer verification questions in order to stop spam bots you should setup a number of questions in the table below. You should pick relatively simple questions. Answers are not case sensitive. You may use BBC in the questions for formatting. To remove a question simply delete the contents of that line.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_enable'] = 'Enable verification questions';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_failed'] = 'You did not answer the verification questions correctly.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_ques_col'] = 'Question';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_title'] = 'Verification Questions';

That Adams Girl

GirlinGray

Also, this is the error page that comes up when I try to open the forum at newacademy.us/forum

Template Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in .../Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php on line 2

1: <?php// Version: 1.1; Modifications// footer links $txt['hide_v_logo'] = 'Hide validation logos.';$txt['forum_copyright'] = 'Enter your copyright here.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default copyright.</div>';$txt['default_copyright'] = $context['forum_name'] .' &copy;';$txt['foot_links'] = 'Enter footer links here, using html.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default links.</div>';$txt['default_foot_links'] = '<a href="?action=sitemap">Sitemap</a> | <a href="?action=contact">Contact</a> | <a href="?wap">WAP</a> |<a href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">xHTML</a> | <a href="?imode">iMode</a> | <a href="?wap2">WAP 2</a> | <a href="?type=rss;action=.xml">RSS</a></span>';

2$txt['anti_spam_ver_ans_col'] = 'Answer';

3$txt['anti_spam_ver_coppa'] = 'COPPA';
4$txt['anti_spam_ver_descr'] = 'If you want users to answer verification questions in order to stop spam bots you should setup a number of questions in the table below. You should pick relatively simple questions. Answers are not case sensitive. You may use BBC in the questions for formatting. To remove a question simply delete the contents of that line.';
5$txt['anti_spam_ver_enable'] = 'Enable verification questions';
6$txt['anti_spam_ver_failed'] = 'You did not answer the verification questions correctly.';

That Adams Girl

xenovanis

Oh my  ??? That is one garbled file.

Could you try this?

<?php// Version: 1.1; Modifications

// footer links         
$txt['hide_v_logo'] = 'Hide validation logos.';
$txt['forum_copyright'] = 'Enter your copyright here.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default copyright.</div>';
$txt['default_copyright'] = $context['forum_name'] .' &copy;';
$txt['foot_links'] = 'Enter footer links here, using html.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default links.</div>';
$txt['default_foot_links'] = '<a href="?action=sitemap">Sitemap</a> | <a href="?action=contact">Contact</a> | <a href="?wap">WAP</a> |<a href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">xHTML</a> | <a href="?imode">iMode</a> | <a href="?wap2">WAP 2</a> | <a href="?type=rss;action=.xml">RSS</a></span>';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_ans_col'] = 'Answer';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_coppa'] = 'COPPA';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_descr'] = 'If you want users to answer verification questions in order to stop spam bots you should setup a number of questions in the table below. You should pick relatively simple questions. Answers are not case sensitive. You may use BBC in the questions for formatting. To remove a question simply delete the contents of that line.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_enable'] = 'Enable verification questions';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_failed'] = 'You did not answer the verification questions correctly.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_ques_col'] = 'Question';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_title'] = 'Verification Questions';

GirlinGray

That Adams Girl

GirlinGray

Put it in. I have a new error message:

Template Parse Error!

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in .../Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php on line 1

1: <?php// Version: 1.1; Modifications// footer links         $txt['hide_v_logo'] = 'Hide validation logos.';$txt['forum_copyright'] = 'Enter your copyright here.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default copyright.</div>';$txt['default_copyright'] = $context['forum_name'] .' &copy;';$txt['foot_links'] = 'Enter footer links here, using html.<div class="smalltext">Leave blank to show the default links.</div>';$txt['default_foot_links'] = '<a href="?action=sitemap">Sitemap</a> | <a href="?action=contact">Contact</a> | <a href="?wap">WAP</a> |<a href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">xHTML</a> | <a href="?imode">iMode</a> | <a href="?wap2">WAP 2</a> | <a href="?type=rss;action=.xml">RSS</a></span>';$txt['anti_spam_ver_ans_col'] = 'Answer';$txt['anti_spam_ver_coppa'] = 'COPPA';$txt['anti_spam_ver_descr'] = 'If you want users to answer verification questions in order to stop spam bots you should setup a number of questions in the table below. You should pick relatively simple questions. Answers are not case sensitive. You may use BBC in the questions for formatting. To remove a question simply delete the contents of that line.';$txt['anti_spam_ver_enable'] = 'Enable verification questions';$txt['anti_spam_ver_failed'] = 'You did not answer the verification questions correctly.';$txt['anti_spam_ver_ques_col'] = 'Question';$txt['anti_spam_ver_title'] = 'Verification Questions';

That Adams Girl

Paul_Pauline

I have that mod  installed on my forum, the section of code in that file that relates to it should look like this.

$txt['anti_spam_ver_ans_col'] = 'Answer';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_coppa'] = 'COPPA';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_descr'] = 'If you want users to answer verification questions in order to stop spam bots you should setup a number of questions in the table below. You should pick relatively simple questions. Answers are not case sensitive. You may use BBC in the questions for formatting. To remove a question simply delete the contents of that line.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_enable'] = 'Enable verification questions';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_failed'] = 'You did not answer the verification questions correctly.';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_ques_col'] = 'Question';
$txt['anti_spam_ver_title'] = 'Verification Questions';
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Paul_Pauline

What would work is  ...........

Get a vanilla copy of that file from a 1.1.11 large upgrade pack.

Then manually add the edits to that file for every mod you have installed.

You should then be able to replace the messed up file on your server with that one.

GirlinGray

Thank you.  I will try that.  If I can at least bring the forum back up without this disaster locking it down I can at least get the online classes back open and functioning and I think I have a copy of this stashed from when I put the footer mod in which would save some of the mods I think?  Sigh.  I'd just like to rip the new mod out by the roots but I'm not good with php I wouldn't know for sure I'm not damaging other things when I do it -- though I gave it a damn good try at first.  And who knows what carnage I left in the wake of that.
That Adams Girl

GirlinGray

I have a forum again yay!  Now to see if everything is working and if I can reinstall the themes without losing all the new art work.

Thank you everyone so much for your help.  I think I will just cope with the spam bots for a while here trying to do something about them with a mod just about took me down.  [wry grimace]
That Adams Girl

Advertisement: