News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Add/Restrict 'Administrator' to Board Access

Started by hcfwesker, August 21, 2010, 09:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcfwesker

I'm on SMF 1.1.11

I understand this is a strange request, but necessary for me.

Link to my other topic before being told to check here  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=396850.msg2754015#msg2754015

QuoteI can explain why this is needed, if I have to, but this is what i'm looking for.

I need to make it to where I can restrict a member from seeing certain boards , even if they're in the admin group. ( modify board does not have an admin membergroup listed) Is there any way an if statement, or member ID code can do this.

Or is there any other possible work around for this?

just as the original  topic says, I need to be able to restrict certain Admins from viewing certain boards.

Can the Administrator Member Group be added in with the other Member groups in the Manage Boards template,  so they cannot view/access selected boards?

Nitti9

So this is what you do.
Put your forum in Maintenence Mode

Admin-> Membergroups-> Create

Make a non post based membergroup and have the name as Administrator. Let it have all of the permissions and then restrict it to certain boards. Put the color to the same. Save.

Rename the original Administrator membergroup to something like "Owner".

Go to the Co-Admin and set their primary membership to Administrator (the new one with the limits).

Admin-> Membergroups

Rename "Owner" to Administrator and exit Maintenence Mode.

Let me know if this helped.
We're not on 4Chan so no one here cares about your retarted meme's.

"Lulz" Factory

hcfwesker

That did sound promising, however, the KEY factor in this is still making sure they have admin functions, like edits only the Core Admin group can make.

Particularly in the image attached below.  That's where I'm having the most trouble is making sure that can be edited. 

I know it's strange, but I also need to hide certain boards from myself.

Xarcell

The only way is do what Nitti9 said. Create a group with all the same permissions. Then deny permission to the boards you don't want them to view.

Nitti9

To be honest I would just not do this. Odds are they are gonna get bored and start sifting through the Admin Main and will look in permissions. When they find the double admin they will look at the differences and see which one they have. They'll end up flipping out at you for denying them certain things when they are Owners of the site just as well as you are.

If you do however decide to do this then I wouldn't concern their ability to do minor thing like edit karma or something small and meaningless. If they ask then just tell them a little white lie like "Only account 1 is able to do that." They will probably believe you.

I'm not a coder though so the answer I gave above is just the response from my knowledge.

"Lulz" Factory

hcfwesker

The attachment above can not be selected by permission.  It is a default Admin group ability, that can not be modified or changed over to another group.

Trust me, the thought of creating another group and all that has crossed mine mind, and many other's have suggested it.

The main con to this is admin permissions that can not be set in the manage permissions page.  Just as in the attached image in my last post.

Edit: 

@ Nitti9  ... this has nothjing to do with 1 admin having permissions another doesn't.  We have mini-clans on our site, each clan as their own board, where strategies are made.  Then all teams meet up in 1 public board for tournaments.

I need it so my 2 admins placed in each of these team boards ( including myself) can ONLY see the team board we're placed in.

It has nothing to do with trust, or, "don't go peeking", we have 100's of members on a day, and they know how SMF and admin's work , that admins CAN see every board.   this is something I need to reassure them it's being handled.  We play against each other for real money and such ... so of course someone's going to suspect cheating.

This was able to be done on proboards, so I thought for sure it could be done here :(

Nitti9

Yeah uhmmm...

Make a new account and give that Admin

Go back onto your normal account and create a second, third, and fourth admin group. I'd suggest giving them a name according to what board they are to administrate. Now give them permissions depending on which one they administrate.

Give them accordingly to each of the admins.

That one sounds like it'd work for what you need...

"Lulz" Factory

hcfwesker

Well, I'm trying to see if the support for the Custom Profile filed MOd can add extra member groups in there to edit.  Honestly, that's the only thing thats standing in the way.

My best alternative, from what I see, is to create us both new Admin accounts, with ALL admin permissions.  Then when we get a request for a new custom profile field item, we can just add ourselves into Administrator in the secondary group, add the custom profile field, then take ourselves back out of the admin group.

It just seems too time consuming.  :(

Thank you for your help, I do appreciate your time.  All your suggestions are great.  But as I said, that 1 thing is in our way, the custom profile fields that only Admins can edit.

Nitti9

That's what the new profile you'd make would be for...

"Lulz" Factory

hcfwesker

Yeah, I completely understand what you're saying.  just if I have to do that, might just be easier to just select admin as secondary group, instead of logging out, logging in with the new profile, then re-logging in with my original account.

I've already tested, and seems to be doing the trick for now :)

Just wish it could be done on a more permanent basis, or that custom profile field MOd could have member group only options to edit.

thanx again for the help, bud :)

Nitti9

Any time! Also, thank you. Because of this topic I now don't have to verify that I'm not a bot, haha.

"Lulz" Factory

hcfwesker

Oh, yeah, I remember that captcha stuff when first posting, hahaha

You picked the right noob to help out :)

Me and my admin just tested around with it, and seems to work out fine.  Plus have a 3rd account as the original Admin group in case of emergency :)

Nitti9

Haha I know. I'm sure that SMF would know that I'm a bot when I make 30,000 posts in a day and your forum has been raped to death.. Even a normal person could bypass the code request until it doesn't apply anymore and then let their bot go loose.

"Lulz" Factory

Advertisement: