RIPC: Remove Index.Php Completely From URL for SEO

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, August 20, 2010, 04:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Link to mod

RIPC: Remove Index.Php Completely From URL for SEO

- For SMF 2.0.x & 1.1.x
- Only htaccess modification.

1. Please do your own backup though every installation is backed up automatically.
2. This mod will try to index.php from your forum completely via url rewrite using htaccess approach.
3. If you need a simpler mod, you can use the second RIPTP package which removes index.php only in three places;
that is in your forum name or image link, home menu button link and top linktree link.
4. This IMO should boost your forum SEO a little bit. ;)
5. It should not have any problems with other mods bu do report any error or problem you faced, if any.

Thank you for using it.

Yours friendly,
Abu Fahim Ismail.

BSD License. Feel free to modify accordingly but keep author's link if it is in here somewhere. ;)

Afro

I like this mod, but

How does it affect the already indexed urls ?

IrateZebra

This mod works by removing the "index.php" from URLs in QueryString.php, thus making URLs look like this: "http://www.example.com/forum/?board=1.0"

So it won't harm it at all by including the "index.php" from already indexed URLs.

Afro

I am a little cautious when it comes to urls,
I learnt from my mistakes in the past.
My site jumped from 78000, down to 670,000 because i had to change all my urls from pretty to dynamic.
The best way is to let the dynamic url stay put. Thats the only way you can add mods whenever you feel like.

~DS~

Ok I think if you have "Search engine friendly URLs" checked and this mod installed...it will give a 500 internal error on topic.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Afro

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on August 23, 2010, 09:02:16 AM
Ok I think if you have "Search engine friendly URLs" checked and this mod installed...it will give a 500 internal error on topic.

Which is disastrous to your website.

Wiejeben

Doesn't support Search engine friendly URLs, it gives a 404 error in a topic.

~DS~

Quote from: Wiejeben on September 04, 2010, 12:18:27 PM
That's what I said.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Joker™

I have seen what mod do a lot of time in support board , so the mod don't do anything new . For e.g

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=165358.msg1055811#msg1055811
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Afro

I really need to consult Captain Arantor before using this one. :-X

Quote from: Afro on August 20, 2010, 07:00:37 AM
I like this mod, but

How does it affect the already indexed urls ?

I personally dont know.

Quote from: Smog on August 20, 2010, 12:47:17 PM
My question: will it remove index.php from ANY url in a board??

Yes. It will.

Quote from: IrateZebra on August 20, 2010, 01:03:24 PM
This mod works by removing the "index.php" from URLs in QueryString.php, thus making URLs look like this: "http://www.example.com/forum/?board=1.0"

So it won't harm it at all by including the "index.php" from already indexed URLs.

May be, but I personally don't know.

Quote from: Afro on August 20, 2010, 01:05:25 PM
I am a little cautious when it comes to urls,
I learnt from my mistakes in the past.
My site jumped from 78000, down to 670,000 because i had to change all my urls from pretty to dynamic.
The best way is to let the dynamic url stay put. Thats the only way you can add mods whenever you feel like.

Yup! Better be cautious then not. As I said, prepare for the whether.

Noted with thanks a million to DS. Updated the OP in mod page and here too.

Quote from: Afro on August 26, 2010, 07:16:45 AM

Which is disastrous to your website.

Disastrous indeed...

Quote from: Wiejeben on September 04, 2010, 12:18:27 PM

As stated above.

Quote from: Joker™ on September 04, 2010, 01:20:59 PM
I have seen what mod do a lot of time in support board , so the mod don't do anything new . For e.g

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=165358.msg1055811#msg1055811

Yup! Nothing new at all. It is a very very simple mod indeed.

Quote from: Afro on September 04, 2010, 02:08:25 PM
I really need to consult Captain Arantor before using this one. :-X

Please do. I'll like to hear what the expert says.

lucas-ruroken

I think... you should modify only the www.tuforo.com/index.php... and leave everything urls as www.tuforo.com/index.php?action=who (for example)
Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

Quote from: lucas-ruroken on September 23, 2010, 09:50:23 PM
I think... you should modify only the www.tuforo.com/index.php... and leave everything urls as www.tuforo.com/index.php?action=who (for example)
Solution for removing index.php for home button is to modify the Susb.php (which may be overridden by some mods like portal etc) and logo / forum name link in the index.template.php (which could be different in every themes) and replace with a link without index.php.

As noted this is not a SEF/SEO. and won't work with any of them.

lucas-ruroken

Design your universe!

You are welcome. I can't think on how to package it that way, since different portal use different approach. I might try this approach if I could. If I ever do it, I'll mention it in the update.

lucas-ruroken

Ok, thanks for share all of your custom modifications. ;)

Design your universe!

They are not really mine. They are all what I've learned here. I am just sharing them in packages.  ;D

sharks

Hi ahrasis

I want to first say thanks for this mod. I think it's a nice addition to bring a slightly more sophisticated look to the URL of any SMF forum. However, after installing your mod, i tried to login to my admin cpanel on my SMF 1.1.11 (default theme) and it wouldn't let me. It keep refreshing the admin login page.
Here is the admin login page URL, which is slightly different from the default one as your mod changed it as expected: smf/?action=admin
And after i tried to login, here is the new admin page URL: smf/?action=admin;%3Faction=admin

I obviously cannot login to uninstall that mod. So, how do i edit the php files (if any) to fix this problem. I would preferably like to keep this mod, but if it's too complicated to fix, then i would appreciate instructions on how to remove it completely without breaking anything in my forum.

Oh, and i do not have any SEF/SEO mods.

Basically you can just parse the mod in its download page and you'll get this:.
/Sources/QueryString.php (You will need to open this file which is in your Sources folder obviously)

Find:
$scripturl = $boardurl;

Restore this original line.
$scripturl = $boardurl . '/index.php';

As you can note from the above post, this mod may not work with some portal as well. If you think you still want to use something like this mod without affecting others i.e. without index.php in homepage only, try this suggestion:
Quote from: ahrasis on September 24, 2010, 05:41:36 AM
Solution for removing index.php for home button is to modify the Susb.php (which may be overridden by some mods like portal etc) and logo / forum name link in the index.template.php (which could be different in every themes) and replace with a link without index.php.

As noted this is not a SEF/SEO. and won't work with any of them.
I believe yours is version 1.1.x and you just need to change your index.template.php and remove home link to yourforum url without index.php.

Advertisement: