News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Caching stores it temporary, I actually prefer it for performance reasons. I should remove the database option

Ah, yeah the reverter i guess doesn't support 2.1 looks like a lot of changes needed to be made for smf 2.1
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

vbgamer45

Updated the reverter package for SMF 2.1
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

chadon

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 13, 2024, 11:27:38 AMUpdated the reverter package for SMF 2.1
I am not sure what happened but I installed the reverter package and it broke my forum.
I uploaded new SMF files and fixed the issue but as soon as I reinstall the reverter, the forum crashes.

vbgamer45

strange, did test on one site of mine, check the forums error log for any errors or webserver.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

chadon

There are no errors in the journal log or webserver and the forum's homepage loads normally but when I try to access a section or a topic, the browser shows this error :

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

I can now fix this issue easily by uninstallig the reverter from the package manager while on my first attempt, I had no access to any page and had to upload new SMF files.

vbgamer45

Update 4.1
!Strip PHPSessionID from cache title when using the cache option instead of database

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Pieszyce

Hello,

I do have a problem.

Around July 1 this year, a host employee installed Pretty Urls for me. Now the fact occurs that as of 4-7-2024 Google no longer crawls which can be seen in statistics, Bing does not get far beyond the login page, so crawled 1 page. The only one doing a good job is Excite.

Could this spider conflict be caused by Pretty Urls?

What is also strange is the fact that on the forum in the url, now there is a readable url, but in the sitemap still the one that smf creates.

I am a newbe in this area, sorry

The forum can be found here.

From September 27, 2022 we switched from Yabb to SMF, everything ran pretty well until July 2024. in Google Page functionality is also something strange what I don't understand.

Mobile                          Desktop                                                        HTTPS
Good                            No data                                                        lockHTTPS
No problems found       No recent usage. More information                 Good, No problems found
                                    This is strange because there are at least 13 posts per day

Can somebody tell me what is wrong??  :)

Kind regards
Janusz

Gebruikt SMF 2.1.4 © 2023, Simple Machines,
TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022
Curve2 Color Changer    1.4.1    
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 
 Post Subject Length    1.1

Kindred

SMF does not create a sitemap by default -- check with the author of whatever mod you used for a sitemap that it is compatible with PrettyURLs
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Pieszyce

Thanks zo you think also, That is the problem?

Google works strange now in the Users online and not in Spiders.

Thanks for the help
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

vbgamer45

Looks like Optimus mod for sitemap check with mod author if compatible.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Pieszyce

@Kindred

QuoteSMF does not create a sitemap by default -- check with the author of whatever mod you used for a sitemap that it is compatible with PrettyURLs

I use Optimus and for readable links Pretty urls, but they don't seem to want to work together.

I have now used a sitemap generator but that doesn't work either.

The fun quickly disappears this way. 
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

@rjen

Just bite the bull it and drop pretty urls: it really has no benefit other then the look of the url.

Your google ranking will take a hit, but it will recover...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Pieszyce

QuoteJust bite the bull it and drop pretty urls: it really has no benefit other then the look of the url.

Your google ranking will take a hit, but it will recover...

;D  ;D

How nice it would be if authors of MODs would work together, so that MODs seamlessly connect and every SMF user is happy, then support would hardly be necessary. Now they regularly pass everything on to each other.   :o

As for Google, it now only indexes 1% for me. They leave 18.7 k behind for all kinds of strange reasons, which are not always true in tests. It would also be good if Google would not crawl old links that no longer exist, but even links that have not existed for 4 years I still come across in the latest report.   >:(  >:(
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

@rjen

I am not suggesting that mods should not be compatible. You may just need to consider the actual use of each mod. The fact that a mod exist does not mean you have to use it...

Pieszyce

We understand each other @rjen, we just look at it differently.

I started a forum in 2004, almost, yes almost never any problems. I was more or less forced to switch from Yabb to SMF because YaBB would not deliver any adjustments and new versions.

Converting YaBB to SMF did not work so everything new 90,800 posts went to hell. I chose SMF because it looked quite similar to Yabb but now I see the limitations.

I chose Pretty Url, after an email from Google, that the sitemap [I now have the same one as you, but that doesn't work either] could not be read.

At the end of 2023 I also received an email from Google that they were going to change something, but I lost those emails so now I have to search for what they changed. There is a lot of precision in many things, I go and search, I wish I had had training for such things myself, then you wouldn't hear me.
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

@rjen

Well if you chose pretty url for the wrong reason and it is not giving you what you need...

Pieszyce

I understand what you mean.

But why then a Pretty Url MOD?

Also the lack of the mail from Google so that I can't read back what they have changed seems to coincide with the problem I have.

Thanks, I'll continue via another route.
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

Arantor

Because 18 years ago when the mod was made, the SEO landscape was different and it made a difference. In 2024 it makes considerably less difference.

Mind you, in 2024 I'd want a forum to have both out of the box.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Pieszyce

Thanks Arantor I just disabled P U.

What do you mean with Both??
 Optimus    3.0 Beta 

Arantor

Both pretty URLs and sitemap out of the box.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Advertisement: